THE HABITAT MODEL
HOW HABITAT WORKS
- The Habitat for Humanity model is designed as a hand-up, rather than a handout, providing sustainable benefits for the partner families;
- Builds houses using monetary donations and donations in the form of new materials and labor along with profits from the Habitat ReStore
- Building is completed through the efforts of professional trades people, volunteers, and the future homeowner;
- Homes are above energy efficient standards and conform with local building codes;
- Habitat sells the houses to selected family at appraised value, through our unique mortgage model with no down payment, no-interest, and payments based on income thus giving those unable to obtain a conventional mortgage the opportunity of owning their own home.
- Expects families to accept all responsibilities of home ownership
- As part of their partnership agreement, and to develop pride of ownership, future homeowners are required to contribute 500 hours of volunteer time. They work alongside other volunteers to build their house, assist with other Habitat projects, volunteer at the Habitat ReStore, or volunteer within their community
- The partnership works both ways. Habitat works closely with each family through the selection process, home construction, and throughout the term of the mortgage.
“This home has changed our life. We can make plans into the future. We could not do that before because we never knew where we would be living. With that is a gradual lessening of stress as we realize we do not have to move.”
-Michelle, Habitat partner family since 2018